- Read this handbook
- Learn how to use the coffee maker
- Get to know your colleagues by using our custom “1-coffee-with-every-colleague” card
- Read the latest banter in some of the 400 Slack channels
- Say hi to the bees and taste the honey
- Get your own custom emoji
- Comment on someone else’s post on Wake
- Invite your colleagues to an after work activity
- Make suggestions for changes to this handbook
- Like everything at B&B, the handbook is a perpetual beta and needs regular maintenance
Building world-class digital products requires diverse perspectives. At B&B we embrace a diverse and inclusive culture and are committed to providing equal opportunities to all, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion or any other aspects of appearance, background or personality.
We don’t tolerate any kind of disrespectful behaviour, discrimination or harassment.
Embrace the unexpected
As a diverse team with different skillsets we have individual needs when it comes to mentorship and guidance. To help support you in the best way possible, we have product managers and team leads, and the opportunity to be one yourself.
We are diverse
Share and Evolve
It gets messy
In the office
Get out of your seat and use the space. Move around - it’s good for you. Put on your headphones or find a quiet spot if you need it.
Do you want to do some activities like yoga or lunch-karaoke? Make it happen! If you find something that we should improve or change, share it, and we'll change it together.
We keep a low barrier for coming up with ideas, experimenting and prototyping. We love to share and discuss ideas all the time. During the course of a year we end up with a great number of ideas that don't amount to anything - but also a few, both big and small, that end up as actual products or even companies.
Flex it up
We know, however, that we do our best work and have the most fun when we are together in the office as much as possible.
- Check with your team first. We want to be flexible and accommodate everyone, but sometimes we need you in the office.
- Make it easy for your team to reach you, and let them know if you will be out of reach for periods of time.
- Be sure to have a good internet connection, and be online during our core working hours.
- Be present on Slack, and be extra diligent with sharing on Wake (if you design stuff) or Github (if you code stuff).
Our working language is English, and you should strive to use it around the office, at lunch and in meetings as well to include everyone that doesn’t speak the local tongue.
Of course, if you move to work at one of our offices in a country where you don’t speak the local language, it’s nice to learn how to do so. We subsidise language classes and necessary exams so you know that you have to run fast when someone tries to serve you smalahove, rauwe haring met uitjes or schwarzsauer.
Please give notice as early as possible if you are planning a longer vacation or taking time off. That makes it easier for us to plan for upcoming and ongoing projects.
Extra days to chill
In addition to your vacation you get these days off:
- Christmas Eve, 1st and 2nd Christmas day
- New Years Eve, New Year’s Day
- Rosenmontag (Germany)
- Easter: Maundy Thursday (only in Norway), Good Friday and Easter Monday
- May 1st
- Liberation Day (Netherlands)
- Ascension Day
- Whit Monday
- Constitution Day (Norway)
- Fronleichnam (wtf?) (Germany)
- Koningsdag (Netherlands)
- Unity Day (Germany)
- All Saint’s Day (Germany)
- 2 days off whenever kindergarten or school has planning days (if you have kids, though)
- Every leap year you’ll get the extra day off on February 29th ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Having fun together
Once every other year we also throw a party for friends and friends of friends because the friends of our friends are our friends.
We want to provide the best possible support for the families of B&B. We got the moms and dads in the company to design our “baby kit”, so you can get a head start on your new parental adventures.
We’re proud to say that it’s probably one of the best in the business.
- A 2.000 euro bonus to buy whatever you think is necessary for your little family.
- A restaurant gift card worth a delicious three-course meal for you and your better half.
- Gift card for 30 coffees at a coffee shop near your house.
- A magazine subscription of your choice, so you can stay inspired and have some time off while the newborn baby sleeps.
Paid leave and time off
- In all offices, we provide two weeks of paid leave so you can be with your newborn and partner.
- Paid leave is also offered in case of adoption.
- In the case of in-vitro fertilisation, the necessary time off is given for treatments.
Mental health support
Being a young group of people, our team members fortunately are rarely on sick leave due to their physical health. However, being young and working in a fast-paced environment can come with other types of strains. We believe that providing a proper support system for mental health is important. We provide:
- Extensive health insurance that provides immediate access to psychological therapy treatment.
- Flexibility to adjust working days based on medical and health-related needs.
- In the case where health insurance doesn't cover psychological therapy, we'll sponsor up to five therapy sessions per year.
- Subsidised subscriptions for digital mental health tools (ie. Headspace).
Sometimes life can hit you harder than a massage can solve. All employees are provided with an extensive health care package* covering the costs of:
- Hospitalisation, with or without operation
- Cancer examination and treatment
- Outpatient surgery
- Examination and treatment with a medical specialist
- Up to 24 yearly treatments with physiotherapist, chiropractor or naprapath
- Psychological first aid
- Access to psychological treatment
- Access to 24-hour helpline
We also offer an unlimited amount of cod-liver oil and vitamins in every office. It might not be super tasty and not everyone sees it as a perk, but it sure is healthy.
Training courses, conferences, exhibitions or inspirational tours: as long as it’s relevant for your work and you can give back to the rest of your team, you’re encouraged to go. The costs will be covered (as long as they don’t exceed €1500 per year).
Getting around town
If you work at the Oslo office and have an electric car, you can charge it for free in the office garage.
Keeping up with culture
Food for thought
Lunch, snacks and coffee
There's breakfast if you had to skip it at home, and fruit, snacks, juice and soda for whenever you need some extra energy. We also take pride in having the best coffee in town!
If you see anything missing in the kitchen, just ask the local office manager to order it for you.
The hardware and software you need
You can decide your own setup, and we’ll provide you with the phone, computer and any software you need to do your job as well as possible. We’ll also provide you with a paid data plan.
Relocation to another office
Being a company with multiple offices in different countries, we have the unique opportunity to work from different places. To facilitate and encourage relocation, we offer:
- Transportation costs to your new location.
- Two weeks of accommodation while you settle in.
- Covering the costs of shipping your stuff.
Full-time employees will be offered to buy stocks and become a shareholder in our investment company, Bakken & Bæck Invest. Now and then, we’ll decide to work for equity over money if we really believe in a company that wants to work with us. Our investment company will own a percentage of shares, which is divided among all shareholders at B&B—a flexible way to get paid for our work.
Bakken & Bæck Invest, or BBI, owns shares in our own ventures, like Orbit, and in a few other companies that we’ve decided to invest in by working with them. The portfolio has grown in both size and value every year.
Making the world a better place
The Oslo office has a beautiful rooftop terrace that we share with two beehives and 100 000 bees. Bees are essential to our ecosystem, and we are doing our part by creating an area for them to do their important job.
At B&B, we subsidise the cost of a beekeeping class so you can join in on the melliferous activities of honey slinging and tending to the beehives. Soon, you and your colleagues will get to taste delicious «office made» honey straight from our rooftop!
Besides beekeeping, we try to make sure we don’t waste too much food—our latest initiative in Oslo being focused around bokashi, or simply composting food waste. If we travel by aeroplane, which we have to do now and then, we make sure to purchase CO2 compensation for our flights.
If you have ideas for making the office you work in more sustainable, please mention it to your office manager.
Put on your lab coat
We love to explore the intersection between software and hardware. It’s fun, we care about making things.
That’s why we have our own hardware lab, which you, of course, will have full access to. The lab is a place to learn how to make new things, test emerging technologies and run fun experiments. Some things we’ve made in the lab:
- Drones of all shapes and sizes
- 3D printing
- Laser briefcase for projections and visual installations
- Kinetic-controlled LED screen
- Door-opening Slackbot
- 15 sqm LED screen made of empty bottles
In Oslo, we'll sponsor a membership at Bitraf, a really cool maker-space downtown.
Benefits may vary
The other reason is that we create the perks together. So the Hamsters chose a free museum card instead of bikes, and the German office wants teilchen instead of massages because to them it has the same relaxing effect.
This way, you can be a part of shaping your own office and your own work environment.
Work in progress...
You’re a part of the team now, and as a team, we will continue to care for, adjust and develop it.
A new visual identity and online presence, powering their mission to be the bedrock of a new financial system.0x.org
An AI-powered chatbot that helps deal with 1,3 million customer support inquiries from five major Norwegian newspapers.schibsted.com
The mobile app for Norway’s fastest growing startup that has been revolutionising grocery shopping.kolonial.no
A platform for sharing and discussing design work, which started out as an internal project and was spun out as its own startup.wake.com
Concept, prototype and new visual identity for the award-winning service that brings quality products to your doorstep.morgenlevering.no
A mobile solution that streamlines the operations of waste collection in Ethiopia, to help foster a more circular economy.pendapaper.com
An AI-powered digital reporter that compiles articles like a human being, saving journalists valuable time and energy.ntb.no
Several digital products for an innovative real estate start up including a smart algorithm that analyses information automatically.alva-tech.no
The first iOS app for Kahoot!, the world-renowned educational game that has more than 50 million active users.kahoot.com
Our own AI platform with a range of tools that understand and automate language and conversations.orbit.ai
- Business Inquirieshello@bakkenbaeck.com
As a tight-knit team of sixty engineers and designers1, we know how to build products from the ground up that stand the test of time.
With solid expertise in a wide range of industries and several PhDs in machine learning and artificial intelligence, we believe that there are no products we can't build.
Forming close relationships with ambitious companies outside of organisational bureaucracy, we like to get things done at full speed.
We do have a soft spot for the serendipitous path of discovery. That’s why we host An Interesting Day2, run stupid hackathons3, keep bees and make honey4.
We are committed to creating a
Check out our to get a peek into our perks and the inner workings of our culture.
We always keep our ear to the ground for great people. Pop us an email, or send us an open application if you think we should talk.
Bakken & Bæck AS
Bakken & Bæck GmbH
Bakken & Bæck
Van Diemenstraat 38
1013 NH Amsterdam